Not less than 60% of the population In Abia state access care in private health facilities. Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL) worked with a broad range of private health facilities in the State to provide direct prevention of mother to child transmission (PMTCT) services to pregnant women and their partners and build the capacity of service providers under the SIDHAS project.
After the 12 months pilot, the project was handed over to the NACA SURE-P HIV/AIDS Programme by President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL) was contracted to support the project through the provision of technical assistance for building the capacity of private health facilities to deliver high quality HIV services as well as the capacity of the state programme implementation unit to ensure project sustainability.
To scale-up HIV service delivery to reach the underserved through private sector engagement.
- To ensure that the community linkages to care and other service elements will be provided to HIV positive persons after testing
- To promote routine facility HIV testing
- To strengthen Couple HIV counselling and testing, (CHCT), scale-up of HCT uptake amongst Most-At-Risk Populations (MARPs) and the general population
- HIV testing and Provision of Antiretroviral for prevention of mother to child transmission for HIV positive pregnant women and exposed infants
- Early infant diagnosis services for HIV exposed infants through dried blood sample transfer for DNA-PCR test
- Referral of HIV positive individuals from the general population.
- Improved capacity of the private health facility staff in documentation and the use of National Health Management Information System (NHMIS).
- Built the capacity of the state programme implementation unit to ensure sustainability