The health conditions in the Northeast are among the worst in the country and the zone lags far behind the other geopolitical zones (except the North West) on key health indices. Under 5 mortality rates (U5MR) are 54% higher than in the south of Nigeria and malnutrition rates are even worse. Service delivery is also substantially worse in the south (In 2013, DPT3 immunization coverage was only 20.6% in the northeast compared to 72% in the southern zones).
Based on these results and as part of the government's overall strategy for the development of the northeast, the World Bank is assisting the Government of Nigeria to rapidly strengthen health service delivery in the northeast. This will support the Federal Ministry of Health’s strategy of ensuring at least one fully functional primary health care center per ward by using a Performance-based Financing (PBF) approach that builds on the successes of the original project. HSCL was contracted as a Contract Management & Verification Agency (CMVA) to manage project implementation in Borno state.
To strengthen the delivery of primary health care services and the capacity of all service providers
- To improve the population coverage of high impact maternal and child health services (Minimum Package of Activities & Complimentary Package of Activities) by supporting the provision of cost-effective preventive and promotive interventions.
- To improve the quality of care provided in health facilities through regular capacity-building, coaching, and mentoring.
- To provide regular information on sustainable costing of the Minimum Package of Activities and Complimentary Package of Activities packages, ensuring that they can be replicable on a larger scale.
- To support the provision of health services through the use of mobile teams and ensure increased access and equity in the use of both preventive and curative services among disadvantaged and underserved communities.
- Manage the purchase contract of assigned Local Government Areas on behalf of the State Primary Health Development Agency (SPHCDA) to ensure the successful implementation of performance-based financing in the assigned Local Government Areas. This includes contract management, ex-ante verification, coaching & mentoring and management of performance frameworks