The National Human Resources for Health Policy 2007 and the draft National Human Resources for Health Strategic Plan (2008-2012) sets out the basis for human resource planning, management and development across the health sector. Ensuring availability and access to a well-skilled health workforce in areas where they are most needed poses a major challenge for the health sector.
In line with the National Human Resources for Health Policy and the National Strategic Development Plan 2010-2015, each state is mandated to adopt and domesticate the National Human Resources for Health Policy to guide Human Resources for Health developments within the state. Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL) provided technical assistance to Oyo State Ministry of Health (Nigeria) in the development of the documents.
To develop of state-specific human Resources for health Strategic and Implementation Plans that are aligned and integrated with the National Human Resources for Health Policy, the Human Resources for Health Priority Area of the State Strategic Health Development Plan and the state’s planning and budgeting cycles
- Provide technical assistance for the development of human resources for health developments Strategic and Implementation Plans
- Support the state ministry of health to facilitate the establishment and functioning of a mandated state human Resources for health development technical working group to develop the human Resources for health Strategic and Implementation Plans.
- Participated in preparatory meetings with client and stakeholders for briefing and joint planning for the project
- Documented and conducted a literature review on the national and state human resources context
- Conducted a situational analysis
- Developed a refined methodology, work plan and timeframe for project
- Facilitated regular human Resources for health development technical working group meetings to conduct further problem analysis, identify human resources for health issues and challenges, refine the situational analysis and develop strategies, activities and M&E framework for the human Resources for health Strategic and Implementation Plans
- Facilitated stakeholder consultations throughout the process to validate human Resources for health technical working group outputs, share information and build consensus and ownership
- Presented key deliverables for review and endorsement